Monday 10 September 2012

Rejected Art work

Earlier this year, I sent some art work off to The Dandy in the hope for it to be published. Unfortunately they didn't accept my submission and I got the dreaded rejection letter. The Dandy didn't really give me any reasons why they rejected it, which would have helped me to improve my future comic strips. So for the first time ever here is the rejected comic strip I sent, entitled "Billy Basher". I would really like to know what everyone thinks to it, especially cartoonists as it would help me to improve my future comic strips. So comments are very welcome! It has always been a dream for me to get my art work published in the Dandy, which will never happen now due to its closure in December (as I mentioned previously). I was lucky enough to get my art work printed in The Beano a few years ago as I was runner up in a "design a poster" competition. My next step is to hopefully to get work as a cartoonist for a comic. Hope you enjoy the comic strip I have uploaded and remember to let me know what you think and what can be improved. Until next time, goodbye!
 
 
 
 

1 comment:

  1. Sadly, I can see why it was rejected.

    Your artwork is nice with a good variety of facial expressions - particularly in Panels 3 and 5. The colours are also nice - I like the style.

    But the story is quite weak, it didn't make me laugh but that said, was still better than the humour I see in some professional comics and magazines. The best why to bypass such a problem is to change your style - make the story more modern and try to avoid a traditional route.

    Going for something a bit more wackier like Jamie Smart or Andy Fanton is not only a fun way to write but also appeals to kids far more!

    Hope those tips help! :)

    - Harry Rickard

    ReplyDelete